My first week as a full time photographer…
But seriously. Now what.
After working an 8-5 job I was blank. I had no idea what to do. I freaked out for about two days. I honestly still don’t know what I am doing. But what I do know is that I am ready.
I bet you’re asking yourself, how am I ready if I don’t know what to do now?!
Well…Good question. But sometimes you may feel ready even if you don’t know where to start all you need is a little push. Luckily, I have an amazing system of supports from family, friends and mentors.
All my mentors, even the ones from school!
(Which if you didn’t read my bio wouldn’t make sense …hint: go read my bio).
I guess let me tell you the condensed version of why I chose to become a full time photography.
1. I was reaching the point in my job where I was no longer enjoying life, school, or work. I was previously very jazzed and stoked to have the job I did but, as time went on being a mental health case manager hit me and I started to become cynical, mean and disconnected. It was time to end it.
2. I was doing to much on top of buring out. I am a full time masters level student, I was running a part time photography business, a dog mom, a fitness fanatic, and trying to work full time. WASN’T I NUTS?! So I needed to cut out the big part of the problem.
3. Lastly, I have an internship coming up in a few months that is unpaid, I needed to start my photography as a way to build income as I’m doing this internship!
There is lots more too it, but the most important thing to me was that I was going to do something that I was truly passionate about. And in the words of the lovely coach Stephanie Williams.
I LOST MY FIRE?!?!
WHERE DID IT GO?!?!
I had to get it back or I was not going to be a happy camper…
So I had to face some scary thoughts that continued to go through my head:
• Im gonna be poor.
• I am going to feel alone
• I have to focus on this just as much as I do a “day job”
But on the other hand I had the positives to outweigh the monster thoughts:
• I will be doing something I love
• I will no longer have acne or stress rashes
• I will be happy
• I will rekindle my passion for mental health (AKA school…..you read that bio yet?)
• I will be able to find who I am and be myself
So, now. Here I am, after my first week of monsters busting through my brains and faeries dancing around my head I have figured a few things out but guess what,
I STILL DON’T KNOW WHAT IM DOING.
But again, that’s okay. I’ll survive. So let me tell you what I decided to start doing.
I developed a really cool daily planner for myself! I plan my day out the night before every day. In addition, I have a weekly calendar for appointments I plan way out! I keep myself in check that way!
- I check my email, social media and post at least ONE THING every day.
- I make sure to spend time at the gym and ONE HOUR break each day! Either lunch, or taking the furry children to the dog park.
- I make sure to go out and shoot for fun ONCE a week!
- I watch one or two hours of photographer education every day!
And that’s just the 8 Hours a day I work on my business!! Not every day is the same and its exciting!
So now what?! ….
Now I get to adventure! Its only the first week and I’ve learned a lot. Even more importantly,
I get to CONTINUE TO LEARN.
Therefore, I will be sharing with you all what I am learning as I go and sharing what cool tools and things I find along the way!
ALSO throughout this blog I want you all to experience my adventures and creative side! My gallery may contain my images but my blog will contain the excitement!